The Water Council’s BREW is the world’s foremost freshwater business accelerator; connecting startups with resources, stimulating water-related innovation and bringing new, game-changing technologies to market in pursuit of real-world solutions to global freshwater challenges.
The Water Council’s BREW (Business – Research – Entrepreneurship – in Water) is the world’s leading freshwater business seed accelerator. Designed to advance the commercialization of innovation-driven startups in the global water industry, the BREW connects early stage technology ventures with the resources they need to fast track the creation and deployment of real-world solutions to freshwater challenges. The BREW is a three and a half month program focused on startups with technological concepts that address a specific area such as nutrient runoff and other novel solutions. The curriculum uses customer discovery to lead participants through the process of refining their value proposition and understanding their future customers.
Those selected for participation are connected to funding, office and research space in the Global Water Center in Milwaukee, executive level mentors, corporate R&D resources and business training through The Water Council (TWC). At the end of each program, BREW participants pitch their ideas to investors, universities, government entities and corporations for potential partnerships, acquisition or funding. Upon completion of the program, participating companies can continue to collaborate with others in the industry through ongoing engagement with the BREW Alumni Network. As with all TWC competitions, potential BREW participants can submit their applications through WaterTechHub.com.
“Our participation in the BREW was critical to developing our understanding of the North American water technology market.”
–Wayne Byrne, Managing Director of Oxymem in Ireland
2020 Application Process
The Water Council’s BREW Accelerator is the world’s foremost water-focused early stage business accelerator. The BREW connects startups with resources, stimulates water-related innovation, and brings new, game-changing technologies to market in pursuit of real-world solutions to global water challenges. Entering its seventh year, startups from around the world compete for selection into the BREW Accelerator program.
Companies selected to participate in BREW will receive the following:
- 3 month business accelerator curriculum and coaching
- Seed funding in the form of a convertible note
- Introductions to the Water Council’s mentor, investment, and water leadership networks
- Low-cost office space in the Global Water Center in Milwaukee
- Access to university R&D resources
- Media exposure and communications boost
- Connection to the BREW alumni network
- Membership to the Global Accelerator Network
- Complimentary one year membership with The Water Council, including networking event discounts, profile in online global directory, talent pipeline, and more
At the end of the program, BREW participants will showcase and celebrate their work at Demo Day, which is attended by The Water Council’s community, corporate, and investment partners.
For the next BREW cohort, which will begin in April 2020, we are looking for early stage companies solving problems in the following areas:
- Agriculture runoff – Wisconsin is one of the nation’s leading agricultural states with more than $5.5 billion in farm product sales per year. We’re looking for technologies to reduce, prevent, or control polluted run-off and improve water quality in lakes, rivers, wetlands, and underground sources of drinking water from farming (pesticides, irrigation, animal feeding, sedimentation, nutrients).
- Emerging water tech – Milwaukee is a hub for makers, entrepreneurs, inventors, dreamers and creatives of all kinds. We are also home to a world-leading wastewater utility as well as the National Science Foundation Water Equipment & Policy Center. We’re looking for technologies that improve the quality, transportation or quantity of water in any part of the world.